- 1 tbsp butter/ or light olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, about 10 cups leaves
- 2 cups sorrel leaves
- 1-2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche
- bread, for dipping
- water or chicken broth/stock
- boiled eggs for garnish (optional)
1. Heat the butter/oil in a medium pot over low-medium heat. Add the onion and potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes.
2. Add 1/2 cup water/stock and. Add in the Swiss chard and sorrel, and 1-2 bay leaves as well as 1 1/2 tsp salt. As soon as they wilt down, add 6 1/2 cups water/stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer, partially covered for 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Taste for salt and season with pepper. Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Mix the creme fraiche with a tiny bit of water and then stir a tbsp or two into each bowl. Serve with bread for dipping.